Dutch state-owned casino sale won’t be before 2020

Dutch state-owned casino sale won’t be before 2020Photo: Scheveningen Beach.com

The state owned Holland Casino group is unlikely to be sold to the private sector before 2020, several years later than planned, junior finance minister Menno Snel has told parliament.

The previous government had planned to sell the casinos by the end of 2017 but a ‘number of administrative hurdles’ still have to be tak

...
Read more...

Trump announces his 'fake news awards'

Screen Shot 2018 01 17 at 5. 10.

President Donald Trump teased a website announcing so-called "fake news winners," but the website, hosted by the Republican National Committee, went offline almost immediately and displayed several different errors.

And the FAKE NEWS winners are. Trump tweeted with a link to the website on Wednesday night.

The website displayed the following messages upon loading: "The site is temporarily offline, we are working to bring it back up. Please try back later," and "Don't worry, we're making it great again. Start here.

Trump previously said that he would be announcing "THE MOST DISHONEST & CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR," in a tweet earlier this month.

Links to cached versions of the website were shared on social media. Instead of announcing a pre-determined winner, the cached website appeared to be a poll asking "Who would you crown the ultimate KING OF FAKE NEWS of 2017.

Several news organizations, including National Public Radio (NPR), The New York Times, BuzzFeed, and Fox News, were listed on the poll.

The Republican National Committee appeared to address the errors in a statement on Wednesday night: "Tonight, [the GOP] saw more traffic than ever before," the committee's official account wrote in a tweet. Even though the servers were scaled up, the interest was even greater than anticipated. Traffic is off the charts. Come back soon.

After announcing the "awards," Trump later tweeted in support of what he called "great reporters" and "good news," without listing any examples.

Read more...

Govt Not Serious Over Issue of Pvt Sale of Military Gear: Hight Court

Govt Not Serious Over Issue of Pvt Sale of Military Gear: Hight Court

It asked the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to forthwith take action to comply with several government communications in this regard, dating back to 1986-99

Expressing concern over the open sale of army apparel and gear, the Delhi High Court today pulled up the Centre for not taking the issue seriously and asked the Delhi government to take steps to

Read more...

Doklam: New concern for India

New Delhi: A massive, full-fledged Chinese military complex is being built within Doklam, show new satellite images five months after India and China ended a 70-day standoff in the region that lies to the east of Sikkim.

The clearest-ever satellite images available so far indicate a Chinese buildup within the region that Bhutan claims as its own. Last month, NDTV broke the story with images of a new road being built by the Chinese in the Doklam plateau which is approximately 10 km wide. What the new images show are several military structures along the East-West road in the disputed region.


This image shows the entire disputed Doklam area. On the left is the Indian post of Doka La in Sikkim and to the east is the Sinche La pass between Doklam and China. To the north is the undisputed part of China, in what is known as the Chumbi Valley.


The structures are visible in an image of the road that the Chinese have been building over several years. This is approximately 10 km to the east of the Indian position in Sikkim.


There are trenches visible at another site where there is Chinese construction. In all locations, military structures and infrastructure is visible. There are two helipads, clearly demarcated by an H marking.


While artillery guns are not visible in these images, there are areas which are dug out and look like gun emplacements. India has always been wary of China moving artillery to this area.


To the left is the Indian post of Doka la in Sikkim and just 81 metres away are the Chinese structures.

Because of the Doklam stare down, the Chinese couldn't stretch their road south. But they haven't moved from the area either.


Google Earth images from March 2005 and May 2011 offer a clear comparison. A rough path is visible in the earlier image, but in the second one, the rough path has been paved and widened.


doklam 12

On October 7, the External Affairs Ministry, responding to reports by NDTV and the Indian Express on Chinese activity in the region stated, "We have seen recent reports on Doklam. There are no new developments at the face-off site and its vicinity since the August 28 disengagement. The status quo prevails in this area. Any suggestion to the contrary is incorrect.

Satellite images available in the public domain and shot in December indicate that the Chinese never stopped their infrastructure buildup in the region. Just 81 metres from an Indian post, the Chinese have constructed proper structures.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed